Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Sunday, November 20, 2005

From Silsila

In the movie Silsila, right after the Holi song 'Rang barase...', Amitabh is washing off the 'rang' in the bathtub when Jaya chides him for his mindless behaviour during the song etc. That is when Amitabh recites this wonderful sher about 'aql' and 'dil':

Acha hai dil ke saath rahe paasbaan-e-aql
Lekin kabhi kabhi ise tanha bhi chod de

paasbaan = guard, sentinel

I have been trying to recall this sher for quite some time now. Infinite Google searches went in vain, till a sudden memory reminded me that the sher ended with 'tanha bhi chod de' and not with 'akela bhi chod de'. I had been searching with the wrong key words.

Perhaps akela (alone) in the sher would have done too. But tanha (lonely) is better. It adds another dimension to the sher, mocking the presumptuousness of aql in assuming that dil, in its loneliness, would want aql's company.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amitashuri said...

Oh how fortunate to find a blog such as yours when my heart is burning with desire to understand more of the literal world that I can only feel by my heart-senses, in the form of ghazals - most often sung to me by Jagjit Singh. I say "only" yet it is in this form I know and feel most. I only long to have my feelings affirmed by the translation of the text.
I have as yet been unable to find such translations online. Yet I continue to search.
I am at my wits end and my heart is bursting with the wine of love that the ghazals pour out.
I have been to see Jagjit Singh twice, during the short year and a half that I lived in India (2005-2007). I am not fluent in Hindi or Urdu (although studied both to some degree). However the language of music and love - Oh I feel it! Especially in Jagjit's voice, the musicians' expression and particularly in Mirza Ghalib's poetry. (I went to his tomb in Nizamuddin just 2 weeks ago).
I write to ask for your help or suggestions.

I would LOVE to find the translations of some of these ghazals and have not been able to. Can you direct me?
Particularly the following three:
Hazaaron khwaishen aisi
Main nashe mein hoon
Honto se chulo tum

Aap mujhko madad kar sakte hain?
Maitri
Amitaśūrī
feeyule@gmail.com

Wed Mar 25, 06:57:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home