Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Saturday, September 03, 2005

"Apnapan", the almost-annual cultural get-together of TI-India happened yesterday, 2nd September. It was the best Apnapan I have ever seen. The highlight for me was the two old Hindi duets - Maang ke Saath Tumhara and Ankhon-hi-ankhon Mein sung by a guy and a girl from the same team. There were two Tamil duets too but I was only vaguely familiar with those songs.

Ah! Duets. The fantasy of every bathroom-singer... More on that later, maybe.

At Apnapan there were these artists who were doing caricatures of people. I have always suspected that I have a caricature-able face. So I decided to get mine made. After sitting for some five-ten minutes with people coming, looking at me, looking at the sketch and smiling-sniggering, the artist finally handed me his efforts. The sketch, though quite flattering :-), did'nt much look like me. Disappointed, I decided that I will attempt a self-portrait/ self-caricature in the immediate future.

That has'nt happened yet but another pending sketching attempt was completed this morning with reasonable success. The below is a sketch of Ghalib from his painting on the cover of a cassette album called 'Bazm-e-Ghalib'. See the original here . I have inscribed my favourite Ghazal from this album: 'Hui Taakhiir to'. Sumeet , you are going to like it. The Urdu transcription is my own so there might be lots of mistakes. The original sketch was with a blue-reynolds on bond paper. The dirty-orange backdrop (similar to the one on the cassette) is due to 'Image Magick' - quite a handy tool.

The English transcription and translations (mine) are at the end.

ghalib_2


Hui taakhiir to kuch baais-e-taakhiir bhi tha,
Aap aate the magar koi anaagiir bhi tha.



Taakhiir=delay; baais-e-taakhiir = cause for delay; anaagiir=a person who controls the reins of a horse.
You are late, but has not someone caused your delay?
You do come, but has not someone dropped you here?




Tum se bezaa hai mujhe apni tabaahi ka gila,
Is mein kuch shaaib-e-khubhi-e-taqdeer bhi tha.




bezaa=without reason, gila=complaint, shaaib=hint
Sweetie, you are not entirely at fault for my downfall
Worthy Fate had a charming role to play too




Tu mujhe bhool gaya ho to pata batlaa-doon,
Kabhi fitraaq mein tere koi nakhcheer bhi tha.




fitraaq=hunter's bag; nakcheer=captured prey;
If you have forgotten me darling then let me remind you once more
Of the captured prey that once was in your hunter's bag



Rekhate ke tumhi ustaad nahi ho 'Ghalib',
Kehate hain agale zamaane mein koi 'Meer' bhi tha.




Rekhta=another name for Urdu
Oh 'Ghalib' you are not the only one who has a way with words
Have'nt you heard of the 'Meer' that once lived?

Ghalib's understated tribute to Meer Taqi Meer.
An example of a maqta which has nothing to do with the rest of the Ghazal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home