Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Remake-Vemake

Its difficult to make a remake and make it appeal to people who have seen the original. I liked the Shahrukh Khan 'Devdas' perhaps because I had not seen the Saigal one or the Dilip Kumar one. Though I liked 'Sarkar' I found it quite insubstantial compared to the original 'Godfather'.

I read in the paper that J.P.Datta is remaking Umrao Jaan. With Aishwarya Rai in the title role and Anu Mallick giving the music. And Abhishek Bacchan is going to play Farooq Sheikh's role. Bad casting and bad music plus a director not world-famous for subtlety. Bana chuke yeh mahashay Umrao Jaan. If you recall the picturisation of the song "Zindagi jab bhi teri bazm mein laati hai hame" - Farooq Sheikh and Rekha in some misty, earthy environs and the understated, melodious voice of Talat Aziz - you will know what I am talking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home