Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Saturday, April 02, 2005

No issue

A popluar phrase out of our office-speak is 'No-issue'. It is used in technical discussions to mean anything from 'no-problem' to 'that's pretty cool'. I dislike that phrase along with several other phrases of office-speak. Often the phrase is used in non-technical conversation where it is especially jarring.

At the breakfast table, a colleague was explaining how marriage rules are changing in his community.
"Me and my wife belong to different sub-castes" he siad, "And my sister and her husband belong to different sub-castes, too"

"No issue, uh?" said another colleague conversationally.

I smiled happily and my eyes widened in pleasurable surprise but no one else seemed to have noticed the beautiful(ly), unintentional pun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home