Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Monday, September 06, 2004

A touch of Melodrama

Once in a while I become extremely melodramatic. For eg, I was going to name this post, 'Melodrama, thy name is Anant', before better sense prevailed.

Some time ago, we were having this team meeting, where no one was agreeing with the point I was making. I pleaded with the team, like a tragic hero to 'give me one last chance to try' and convince them. I remember actually having gotten all worked up and senti.

Then the other day, we had this one day communication workshop, and there was a lot of play acting and stuff, which I quite enjoyed. Towards the end there were to be 3 minute short talks and I was among the 4 who voluenteered. My topic was 'whem my bike was stolen' I had structured the talk to go from the material to the philosophical. And towards the end, when I started talking about the philosophy of loss, my eyes got a little moist and I actually felt a little sorry for myself for having lost my bike. The middle aged lady who was conducting the workshop was nodding sympathetically while I was making statements like 'You don't know how much you own something till you lose it', 'Loss is actually a gain' etc. - heavily borrowed thoughts, I must admit - and I felt all the more like some Devdas.

Of course even when I get senti, there is some sense in what I am saying, in the arguements I make. However those have to be reached at after filtering out loadfuls of crap. And then sometimes, the best arguements are omitted in favour of silly sentimentality.

In school I used to write silly poetry. The poetry I wrote was silly, I mean. There was no real 'dard' in it, you know. A friend of mine, Inaz, was convinced that I was writing all this in honour of some estranged flame. And he said so. The mere suggestion, I remember, got me pretty senti and Devdas like. I avoided his direct gaze and made a feeble (tragic) attempt to change the topic.

(Sigh) Melodrama, thy name is Anant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home