Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Friday, October 10, 2003

If one has read the book, why does one want to watch the movie so badly. And then why does one enjoy the movie so much more?

I guess the above question warrants some amount of study by psychology students. And probably it is being studied.

When we are reading the book, we build up some sort of a mental picture of all the characters involved, and then perhaps seeing them in flesh and blood, so to speak, is probably some kind of 'dream come true'.

Probably the whole thing satisfies the creative urge. The mind is duped into believing that it has created something. Probably some Freudian fundas are involved.

Or probably it is some straightforward thing which I am deliberately missing in the interest of a blog topic.

Anyways. Over the weekend I went home and watched 'Gone With The Wind'. I have been wanting to watch it ever since I finished reading the book in 3rd year. But hostel Junta never could begin to get enthusiastic about a 4 hour movie.

Scarlett should have started out much younger, but I guess that is not technically possible. Rhett Butler's face was on the book's cover so he was much as expected. Mammy was amazing. Frank Kennedy was much younger. One had somehow imagined Stuart and Brent with wavy hair. And perhaps Ashley as well. Indeed Blonde went with Wavy.

*****

Watched The Gods Must Be Crazy Part-I yesterday. Very funny movie. But the hero and chief clown of the movie keeps saying 'Ay Ya yai ya yai'.

Which is what Javed Jaffri keeps saying in Boom. I don't know what to think of this blatant copying, especially since I thought 'Boom' an original film, if nothing else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home