Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Saturday, July 19, 2003

Went to a Santoor recital by Pt. Shiv Kumar Sharma and his son Rahul Sharma. I enjoyed it quite a lot but I am afraid quite a bit of the Panditji's skill was probably lost on me.

Shiv Kumar Sharma is more than 65 yrs. old but still looks forty. And he is quite tall, I could see when the CM ( SMKrishna) was garlanding him and all. Plus Kashmiri good looks.

In a classical concert sometimes the performer sometimes goes very soft and delicate and low pitch and you have to strain to listen to see if figure out what subtelry he is up to. That is when some junta in the audience think it is the end of the piece and start clapping. To be fair to them, I can't say whether it was indeed something the musician did which prompted them to spontaneous applause. Lots of such moments were there in yesterday's concert. The audience clapped so many times and the piece resumed so many times, that I was afraid that when the piece did finish finally, no one would applaud and then what would the performers think? It didnt help matters that the Panditji and his son shared several slight smiles. I dont know whether they were smiles of musical ecstasy or what.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home