Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Captain Ahab

A week ago, I got a long-standing (sic) ligament tear in my left knee fixed - two year old football injury. Since I obviously had to spend time in hospital I took "Moby Dick" along, the book I had been reading on and off and had still not finished. After the operation, I realized the conincidence. The one-legged captain Ahab going tock-tock-tock with his ivory leg on the deck of his ship, and me limping with the walker going tock-tock. An omen and a portent, Ishmael would have said. Had I not read the book almost as long as I had had the injury? In any case, with my one leg immobilized and in pain, I did feel more sympathetic towards Ahab than I would have otherwise.

Excerpts:

(Ahab having worn out his ivory leg, is waiting for the ship's carpenter to make him another out of a whale's jaw bone. He soliloquizes)

Oh, Life! Here I am, proud as a Greek god, and yet standing debtor to this blockhead (the carpenter) for a bone to stand on! Cursed be the mortal inter-indebtedness which will not do away with ledgers. I would be free as air; and I'm down in the whole world's books. I am so rich, I could have given bid for bid with the wealthiest Praetorians at the auction of the Roman empire; and yet I owe for the flesh in the tongue I brag with. By heavens! I'll get a crucible, and into it, and dissolve myself down to one small, compendious vertebra. So.

3 Comments:

Blogger agent green glass said...

hey. i had sort of given up on you...then i read i want to write! : ) good. because you write really well. and the haiku was wonderful. you have inspired me to try my hand at it. tho i'm not sure if i'll be able to pull it off. btw this is underthemangotree from electricdiary. i shifted to blogspot two months back...coz i missed writing too. : )

Mon Oct 13, 05:37:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger anant said...

Hi Shorms. Do try haiku - it is somehow nice to work with the syllable constraint. I like it because it is so economical - great for a lazy poet.

And do keep visiting. I hope to start writing regularly soon.

Wed Oct 29, 07:36:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Daysleeper said...

visiting your blog after a long time. i've been remiss and so have you, but at least, you're blogging again! this one's posted on my bday, so commenting here :)

Thu Nov 13, 06:48:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home