Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Thursday, January 01, 2004

Yesterday I drank my few Avogadro Numbers of Beer Molecules. Tomy offered me some, I am glad, and I took a gulp. It tasted pretty good, actually. I don't know why people keep cribbing about the taste of Beer. Anyways. I guess I am about to become the next big drink and wine connoisseur.

Later, I took another sip from Sumeet's can (sumtya.blogspot).

Anant (anant-jain.rediffblogs) was very nicely drunk.

I am at that age where Life occassions a certain 'dard' or feeling or melancholia in one's attitude to life and this no doubt reflects in one's writing. Add to this a bit of booze, and who knows, I might just write my first Booker winning Book. (Okay. Okay. If you insist, I WILL put a smiley after that last sentence. There you go.) :-) (Happy?).

Though it has not too much to do with this post, here goes a bit of shayari from Hindi cinema: "Shaukiyon mein ghola jaaye phoolon ka shabaab. Usme phir milayi jaaye thodi si sharaab. To hoga yun nasha jo taiyyar, vo pyar hai."

I had to start drinking. Reading, as I did, all the Ghalib and the Meer and the Kalidas and the Khushwant Singh and the Arun Johi over the past few months. I guess I had been wanting to start for some time now, subconsiously. Maybe six months. But, like some Chemistry experiment, it has all precipitated very sharply, in the last two weeks or so. When two days back, my mom showed me a certain Newspaper Supplement describing the various kinds of popular drinks, I, like one of the chaps from the Drones Club, took it as a good Omen.

Come to think of it, why didn't I start earlier? I don't quite know. Maybe I wasn't quite aware of the Aspects and the Possibilities or the Avenues that Drink offers. I am thinking now that perhaps drinking means more than bad breath and foolish behaviour. Perhaps the fact that, before, I only read Western Literature and those guys can beat the Sensuality out of the most Sensuous of subjects (now that might be too quick a generalization, for I havent read any French literature or Sapnish), that I looked at Drinking with an indifferent eye.

By the way, did I only imagine the slight tingly, burning, sensation down my throat or what? Mind you I have only two gulps of Beer to my credit. Will find out for sure, the next time around.

But I am happy it's a consious decision on my part ( I had decided to Start with Vodka and Mirinda, this new year eve, as my Vineet had advised ) and not any 'Socially influenced' one.

There are some 'opens' though. Where does one draw the line between Vice and Pleasure? I find cigaratte smell most unpleasant but will I take pot? Don't think so. Vineet (same as mentioned above) told me of a friend of his who always took pot before giving a test which required creative thought. Next time I booze I will think about these profound subjects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home