Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Macbeth

Act I Scene II

Scene II : A relaxed pub in bangalore. Sprawled out, amidst cigarette smoke, on comfortable chairs/sofas, in a quiet corner, are Duncan and Banquo. Banquo is smoking. Whiskey glasses on the table.

(The play's constumes, a suggestion: Instead of modern day work clothes, why not have the same kind of clothes that people in the original Macbeth would have worn - maybe just for the principal characters. Present day setting, present day conversation, present day computers, cell-phones, whiskey glasses, cigarettes, but old day clothes. How about that?)

The scene opens in the middle of a conversation. The conversation has the relaxed deliberation of drunken conversation. Banquo's more so than Duncan's.

Duncan : So you admit you are jealous of Macbeth?

Banquo :

Jealousy's a natural feeling.
God created it along with love, hate, fear, creativity, ambition.
What's wrong with jealousy?
I would rather a friend who was jealous of me,
than a friend that was proud of me.
I would know I was superior.
Jealousy's a form of flattery.
And jealousy if used correctly,
Can lead to introspection, improvement,
For either party.
Jealousy is the first step to competition,
And to hard work, spirit, and human development.
Jealousy's a virtue!

Duncan (who's been chuckling through Banquo's speech): You are drunk! But seriously, I hope you are not jealous of Macbeth.

Banquo :

Duncan, my friend, my boss.
Don't worry.
There won't be ill feeling in your group.
Even if you take Macbeth
from being my report
and make him my equal,
And it's clear that's what you'll do.
I won't crib. I won't be bitter.
And I won't go looking for another job.
And seriously,
I am not jealous of Macbeth.
Though it would help if his wife were not so sexy,
Or if he dressed laughably or kept a funny moustache,
Or had pockmarks on his face,
Was shy of girls,
Or made shabby schematics,
Or if he had not saved my ass and neck,
So obviously, in the project gone by.

Duncan (laughing): Bloody. It's difficult to say when you are serious and when you are joking. But I'll take you at your word. (pause) And let's be Frank he'll do much more good for the group -

Banquo : And hence you...

Duncan - and hence me - if he were given a lot more responsibility. It's time he moved out of your illustrious shadow.

Banquo : No verbal appeasement please. Whiskey will do. (To a waiter): Excuse me! Boss!

Curtain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home