Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Friday, May 06, 2005

Here's a joke my sister made up and I fine tuned:
A guy goes to the loans department of a bank and says "Please mujhe loan de dijiye main hamesha hamesha aapka wrini rahoonga"

Had a very nice, very well timed, 5 day vacation at home. Well timed because the weather is pretty pleasant in Kumta right now and it is the season for Mangoes, Jackfruit and fish - all of which I ate loads of. Also my sister's college (she's lectures to BSc Students) is closed for summer vacation, so she was at home too.

Among other things, read Macbeth at leisure. It gave me a big kick. Though I had read Romeo and Juliet and Julius Caesar before, neither of them had hit me so hard as did Macbeth. Suddenly the much ado (again a Shakespearean phrase?) there is about Shakespeare seemed to make sense. And then, Shakespeare is drama written as verse and is much lighter, more enjoyable reading (if the book you are reading from comes with annotations) than Novels.

And Shakespeare has written hazaar hazaar plays. I now look forward to reading King Lear, Hamlet, Twelfth Night, Antony and Cleopatra - all of which I knew existed but only they have all suddenly turned extremely desirable. It's like someone who has a fridge stocked full of chocolates (or candy or ice-cream) and who one fine day suddenly finds out that he likes chocolates (or candy or ice-cream) much more than he thought he did.

After being so impressed with Macbeth I dug out my sister's book of college poems and read for the first time all the (deservedly) famous pieces: Alexander Selkirk, Ode to a Grecian Urn, An Essay on Man...I have brought the book back with me. English Poetry, here I come!

I think I will have one crib with Shakespearean Drama or English poetry and that would be that it is not very conducive to mugging up (unlike Ghazals). Though Macbeth had several stunning lines these are the only ones I could remember with some fight. They are the words of a murderer whom Macbeth has employed:

I am one, my liege,
Whom the vile blows and buffets of the world
Have so incens'd that I am reckless what
I do to spite the world

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home