Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Thursday, February 05, 2004

I want to blog, but I don't want to blog.
Here's in brief what I want to blog about. I made a quick trip home over the weekend. The way there was extremely painful, because I only got the last seat on the bus, . because I booked so late, because I decided so late (I am a no-planner too, Som!) There were two guys sitting on either side of me and it was extremely cramped and those guys kept falling over me in their sleep no matter how often I PUSHED them off. I kept wanting to smash an elbow in either face. I kept wanting a gun, either to shoot them or to kill myself. It was really, really bad. I am not exaggerating.
There was this big muslim family going back to Bhatkal for ID. They all had mobile phones and it was nice to hear 'Salam Valaikum' and 'Khuda Hafiz'. I began to think about 'Salam Valaikum' which I read somewhere means 'Peace be with you', and how much more boring 'Hi' or 'Hello' was compared to that. I began to think of 'Namaste' and 'Ram Ram' and 'Sat Sri Akal' and 'Good Morning' and decided I still liked 'Salaam Valaikum' best. In fact just 'Salaam' or 'Peace' is very good too. In fact its better. Imagine greeting everyone with a raised hand and a relaxedly said 'Peace'. One more thing, I just thought, 'Guten Morgen' sounds better than 'Good Morning' even though they mean the same thing, what?

Also in brief what I finally think about
1. ek hasina thi : very well made movie, but the story turns from believable to unbelievable from the first half to the second.
2. Maqbool: Again a very good movie. But I would liked it to be more musical and more theatrical. And I don't think it did justice (did not give enough screen time) to the characters or their inter-relationships. Should have spent more time in bringing out the love between Guddu and Appaji's daughter, for example. One felt one did not know enough of some characters, in fact most characters, to empathize with them. I think they (the makers of the movie) squandered away the two hours, but I dont know where. I liked the song in the durgah, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home