Writer's Blog

Transient Thoughts

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Sunday Night I had one of the high adventures of my life. I was caught by a Traffic Policeman. (I am Pathetic!)

We were going to a restaurant called 'Aangan' close to Race Course Road. Since I did not know the place I was following a friend. Now when you are following someone you neither notice the way you have taken nor do you see any traffic lights.

I jumped one. And didnt jump clear.

Vehicles were crossing from the other side and I had to slow down. The cop coaught me. As he was taking my key, an autowalla said in Kannada "Don't spare these two wheeler fellows"

Bangalore Autowallas are generally nice, so I figure Two-Wheeler-Fellows must be quite a nuisance in these parts.

I am asked to Park my bike and I start following the Policeman. The advantage of having a blog is that even in adversity you refuse to take life too seriously. I can only think 'Ah! Blog Topic'. The policeman explains to me that 'Young Boys only jump lights' 'Jumping Lights causes accidents' 'Its for your good only.' All this is in Kannada, for I have had the good sense to immediately start the conversation in Kannada. He also asks me where I work. I know it is to size my purse up. I say evasively 'Software Company in Domlur'.

Meanwhile I am happy to note that there is a Police Station closeby. Going into a Police Station is another of my Life Time Ambitions.

We have reached another Policeman. By this time the First Policeman has checked my Driving License. The second Policeman also starts putting fundaes. I repeatedly say that 'It was all my fault. I agree.'

They finally say. 'Fine Katt-teera?' - Do you want to pay the fine? A moment's hesitation and I say looking at the Police Station. 'OK. Let's go'.

I can see they are taken aback a bit. They stall proceedings by saying some Roll Call or other is happening. They praise me. You look like a Gentleman, You have admitted your fault, why do you want to get in trouble? Your Wish. Your Wish. 'Your Wish' meaning, 'Pay according to your wish'.

My cell rings. The friend I was following is wondering what the hell I am up to. I look at the police station, should I go in? As is often the case with me 'the spirit is willing but the spirit is weak.'

I take out my purse. It is in bad shape, externally. I am thankful it is not fine leather because the policeman is watching. I don't have a fifty. I take out a hundred and wonder how to tactfully ask him to take only Fifty. The second Policeman is nice 'Give only fifty' he says. He asks the first guy to give me fifty back in change.

The Poliemen were quite nice actually. Very polite and all. No bad words. They didnt pain me too much either. I wonder now how the whole thing would have happended in, say, Delhi or Patna?

The dinner at Aangan was too good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home